Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9 out of ten cats desire... Kilkenny

glendalough and kilkenny day tour

Heading down the nation on the train is often excellent entertaining. There's the chat, bags of crisps, and observing the fields whizz by - and me and my pal are in comfortable vacation kind when we're achieved by James Doran in Kilkenny. James is our driver for the weekend, and on his taxi excursions he often shares his knowledge of the spot with vacationers, and it appears fairly a few going to Dubs.
James drops us off at Lyrath Estate Resort, our 5-star lavish base for the weekend, and which is a short drive outdoors the medieval money of Eire. As soon as we are in the door of this seventeenth century nation house, which has been restored to its first grandeur, we uncover ourselves in a light-stuffed lobby with more substantial-than-life Greek-style statues - the quite playfulness of which lets us know we're about to get a actual crack from life.
But just before we get also comfortable in our splendid suite, which is a quick wander from the hotel's spa, we're off to Ryeland Residence Cookery School in Cuffesgrange for a cookery lesson - the first action in our all-go pair of times.

Ryeland House is a region farm property which was created in 1845, and has been the property of the Neary household for above four generations. We're welcomed into the residence by Anne Neary, prepare dinner, writer and broadcaster, and informed to make ourselves at property. It's an easy request, as Ryeland Home is a property entire of old-planet charm and class, right down to its antique furnishings and good bone china.
Anne opens her cookery ebook, as in the cookery e-book she has composed, and sets about instructing us how to make two recipes in her rustic kitchen - Brazilian chicken with spicy tomato and coconut sauce, and a rhubarb tart.

Did you know the magic formula to a best rhubarb tart is to slice up a few of ripe strawberries and area them on best of the rhubarb? The added sweetness is delicious.
I keep saying it truly is the nicest cake I have experienced in a lengthy time and my pal retains declaring I'm only declaring it due to the fact I consider I have made it. But it is the tastiest cake I've experienced in a whilst what ever she states.

Next we're off to Highbank Orchards to satisfy proprietors Rod and Julie Calder-Potts, who give us a guided tour of their apple orchards and distillery. The pair planted their initial apples in 1969, and nowadays they flip their apples into cider, gin, vodka, whiskey and brandy, and their award-profitable Highbank Orchard syrup.
Their passion for apples - all of their generation is to the strictest of natural and organic standards - is palpable, and it truly is not surprising their excursions are well-liked. Their lives are a lovely slice of artisan heaven, and they have extra two modest lakes, woodland and various wildlife habitats to their orchards.

It is time to return to beautiful Lyrath Estate Lodge, where we dine in Yindees restaurant. This is a stylish Pan-Asian restaurant, and it really is buzzing on a Sunday evening (we are told Sunday is the new Saturday in Kilkenny). The food - prawn massam curry and duck khao san - is yum.
The following morning, Monday morning, commences as each and every Monday early morning need to start, with a fortifying fry-up followed by a back again, neck and shoulder massage and mini facial in the hotel's spa. The spa has a seventeen-metre infinity edge pool. It truly is an work to drag ourselves away.

Lunch is in the award-profitable Foodworks cafe on Kilkenny's Medieval Mile. A cafe-type bistro, it offers a farm-to-fork expertise, with the ingredients for the dishes sourced from the restaurant's own farm. Fish and chips and mussels do the trick nicely, and we have a great chat with owner Maeve Moore.
It is time for us to do some culture-vulturing on Kilkenny's Medieval Mile. Our 1st stop-off is the Smithwick's Knowledge, which gives a tour of the unique site in which Smithwick's was brewed from the 1700s until finally 2014.

Central to the story is John Smithwick, a brewer who lived in Kilkenny in the early 1700s and who since of penal regulations for Catholics, could not possess residence or run for elected office. So clever Catholic John quietly went into business with formidable Protestant Richard Cole who leased a piece of land, and the duo acquired down to the company of g