Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nine out of ten cats prefer... Kilkenny

Click Here

Going down the country on the prepare is always great exciting. There is certainly the chat, baggage of crisps, and observing the fields whizz by - and me and my pal are in calm getaway type when we are met by James Doran in Kilkenny. James is our driver for the weekend, and on his taxi tours he routinely shares his understanding of the region with visitors, and it seems very a couple of checking out Dubs.
James drops us off at Lyrath Estate Lodge, our 5-star deluxe foundation for the weekend, and which is a quick generate outside the house the medieval cash of Ireland. As quickly as we are in the doorway of this 17th century place property, which has been restored to its unique grandeur, we find ourselves in a light-weight-filled lobby with bigger-than-daily life Greek-type statues - the extremely playfulness of which allows us know we are about to get a genuine break from lifestyle.
But ahead of we get as well comfy in our splendid suite, which is a quick wander from the hotel's spa, we're off to Ryeland Residence Cookery Faculty in Cuffesgrange for a cookery lesson - the very first activity in our all-go couple of days.

Ryeland Residence is a country farm residence which was created in 1845, and has been the house of the Neary family members for more than 4 generations. We're welcomed into the home by Anne Neary, cook dinner, author and broadcaster, and advised to make ourselves at residence. It really is an effortless ask, as Ryeland Home is a residence total of previous-planet attraction and elegance, correct down to its antique furnishings and fine bone china.
Anne opens her cookery book, as in the cookery book she has created, and sets about teaching us how to make two recipes in her rustic kitchen area - Brazilian rooster with spicy tomato and coconut sauce, and a rhubarb tart.

Did you know the mystery to a perfect rhubarb tart is to slice up a pair of ripe strawberries and spot them on top of the rhubarb? The added sweetness is tasty.
I maintain saying it is the nicest cake I have experienced in a lengthy time and my pal retains declaring I am only expressing it simply because I feel I have created it. But it is the tastiest cake I've had in a even though no matter what she claims.

Subsequent we are off to Highbank Orchards to fulfill house owners Rod and Julie Calder-Potts, who give us a guided tour of their apple orchards and distillery. The pair planted their first apples in 1969, and right now they change their apples into cider, gin, vodka, whiskey and brandy, and their award-winning Highbank Orchard syrup.
Their passion for apples - all of their creation is to the strictest of natural requirements - is palpable, and it really is not shocking their excursions are popular. Their life are a pretty slice of artisan heaven, and they've additional two modest lakes, woodland and a variety of wildlife habitats to their orchards.

It's time to return to lovely Lyrath Estate Hotel, the place we dine in Yindees cafe. This is a chic Pan-Asian restaurant, and it's buzzing on a Sunday evening (we're told Sunday is the new Saturday in Kilkenny). The meals - prawn massam curry and duck khao san - is yum.
The subsequent morning, Monday early morning, begins as each Monday early morning ought to commence, with a fortifying fry-up followed by a again, neck and shoulder massage and mini facial in the hotel's spa. The spa has a 17-metre infinity edge pool. It's an energy to drag ourselves absent.

Lunch is in the award-successful Foodworks restaurant on Kilkenny's Medieval Mile. A cafe-type bistro, it delivers a farm-to-fork expertise, with the substances for the dishes sourced from the restaurant's possess farm. Fish and chips and mussels do the trick nicely, and we've a excellent chat with proprietor Maeve Moore.
It's time for us to do some tradition-vulturing on Kilkenny's Medieval Mile. Our 1st cease-off is the Smithwick's Expertise, which gives a tour of the original web site the place Smithwick's was brewed from the 1700s till 2014.

Central to the tale is John Smithwick, a brewer who lived in Kilkenny in the early 1700s and who because of penal regulations for Catholics, couldn't very own residence or run for elected workplace. So clever Catholic John quietly went into business with bold Protestant Richard Cole who leased a piece of land, and the duo acquired down to the