Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Binge Drinking, What is it?

The actual amount of alcohol you need to drink in a session for it to be classified as binge drinking varies depending on who you ask, but the everyday definition is roughly 8 units of alcohol (around three pints of strong beer), and 2-3 units of alcohol for women (around 2 large glasses of wine) consumed in a brief period of time.
These numbers are far from accurate, and in the real world, binge drinking is better defined by the level of intoxication than the quantity of alcohol. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) designates binge drinking as "a pattern of drinking that brings a person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to.08 % or above".
In relapse , if you're drinking to "get drunk ", you're binge drinking.
What Are The Consequences Of Binge Drinking?
A wide range of research studies have substantiated that consuming large amounts of alcohol in solitary drinking sessions is actually more harmful to your overall health than drinking smaller amounts regularly.
In lots of countries, binge drinking is considered an acceptable social activity among young professionals and college age kids. Regular binge drinking is oftentimes viewed as a rite of passage into adulthood.
rasputin

1. Binge drinkers exercise remarkably imperfect judgment and aggression. When sober or when consuming alcohol within their limits, binge drinkers usually make imperfect decisions they would not make if sober. This can include driving drunk, assault, minor mischief, high-risk sex-related behavior, and aggressive behavior. Studies have shown that alcohol is a factor in one among every 3 sexual assaults, 1 among 3 break-ins, as well as fifty percent of all street crimes.

2. Mishaps and tumbles are common. This is due to the extreme effects drunkenness has on decision making, balance and motor skills.

3. In rare circumstances, binge drinkers can experience fatal alcohol poisoning. Binge drinkers are also vulnerable to suffocating to death on their own throw up if they lose consciousness on their back. If you're caring for a person that is passed out drunk, always make sure to keep them face down.

Binge drinking is a gateway to long term abuse and dependence. For individuals who have addictive tendencies or for whom alcohol dependence runs deep in the family, avoiding binge drinking sessions may be a way to avoid nose-diving into the trap of alcohol dependence in the first place.

5. Binge drinking is able to induce clinical depression in certain people, most notably when its used as a way to cover-up emotional distress.

6. Regularly taking part in binge drinking poses long term health threats, normally including raised risk of stroke, heart disease, liver disease, and high blood pressure.

Should I Discontinue Binge Drinking Entirely?
rasputin

If you have difficulties with alcohol, then yes, binge drinking is a definite no-no. For any young college age kids reading this, I can't really stand here and tell you not to do it. That's your choice to make. Lots of young people get hammered on weekends and have a terrific time. While this commonly produces memory loss, agonizing mornings, day-after remorse For many, these misjudgments are an initiation rite.
I had a good time partying and drinking in university or college and quite a bit afterwards. Needlessly to say, things started to deteriorate for me at some point, but I have plenty of friends who party and binge sometimes, but do so sensibly and lead wonderfully productive lives without alcohol tolerance or abuse troubles.
I can't tell you not to binge drink, however, I can instruct you that it is not free from its hazards. I can advise you to be cautious and realize that even though you're young you're not superhuman. Accidents and problems do happen, and some of these accidents and misjudgments can have permanent, life changing repercussions. Sometimes, all it takes is 1 evening to transform your life forever.
Do it as responsibly as possible if you're going to binge drink. Pay attention these warning signs that might tell you when your weekend social binge drinking has changed into a serious alcohol problem:
* The consequences of a wild night