Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want an IE of Your Own? Get Involved in BHO Development

When you get as old as I am (hitting the big 6-0), you begin looking back over what you've done in your life to see what was successful and what wasn't.

I have struggled my whole life with good/bad habits. I haven't found any definite answers yet, but I have a new good habit helper.

As a child I did things because I had to or I would be in trouble. Get Helper Developer advice states that when children learn certain habits in youth, they will stick with them. I am here to tell you that it "ain't necessarily so" to quote from the opera "Porgy and Bess" by Gershwin.

I went to school and did my homework because I couldn't play until afterwards. And after years of doing what I had to, I should have developed some good habits.

When I got older, I quit college repeatedly-so much for 12 years of "good habit development."

But my biggest bad habit is that I can ditch a good habit in less time than it takes to say so. I have heard it said that it takes three weeks to develop a good habit. So how come I haven't the internal fortitude to keep a habit from childhood?

I used to write in my journal daily. After years of that, I got busy with something. I don't remember what anymore, but I quit writing in my journal. I wrote for over 10 years. Where did the good habit go?

What can I do to form good habits? I found a computer program that helps me stay on top of my tasks, but I still missed a doctor's visit because I didn't check my datebook. I need to add a note to my tasks program to do that daily.

I also need to take time out for myself. I think I need to schedule that because otherwise I will do what I love doing-writing. While it's good to do what you love, it's not good to do it to the exclusion of all else. I spent last week eating and working at my desk. That is not a good habit.

I need to place shopping or something that comes up on my task program to make sure that I take the time I need to, even if I'm not around to hear the timer go off. And I need to obey the reminder each day to exercise.