A properly adjusted office chair can increase productivity and potentially assist in avoiding injuries. To improve seating ergonomics, an office chair should be adjusted using the below guidelines:
• Seat height should be set so that feet are flat with thighs parallel to the floor. Knees should be bent at a 90 degree angle.
• Armrests should be adjusted so that wrists are straight when extended to use a keyboard or mouse. Armrests should also support the arms to reduce strain on the neck and shoulders.
• The seating surface should not create pressure on the back of the knees. Knees should extend two to four inches beyond the edge of the chair. The seating surface should be relatively level or tilted slightly forward when using a keyboard.
• The backrest should be adjusted to support the back. Many chairs have backs with height adjustment to properly support the lower back and set a supportive angle between 90 MARVODIY
There are many office seating products available in the marketplace with a variety of features and adjustments. The key is to adjust your selected chair to an optimal position within the parameters of that particular model. Some key features are:
• Pneumatic cylinder/gas lift. This feature allows height adjustment actuated by a control on the side of the chair.
• Arms. Typically executive and conference chairs have arms that are not adjustable. Task and computer chair arm adjustments can include height, width, and angle adjustments
• Backs. Features include ratchet systems that allow the entire back to be moved up and down. Adjustable lumbar supports. Contoured shapes and infinitely adjustable back angles that can be adjusted independently of the seat.
• Tilt lock. Allows the adjustment of the seat angle and allows the seat to be locked in a particular position.
• Seat depth. Chairs equipped with a seat slider allow for custom depth settings.
There are several common mechanisms available:
· Swivel Tilt. This is a basic mechanism that allows the chair to swivel 360 degrees, tilt, height adjust, and lock seat angle
· A synchro-tilt mechanism has the same features as the swivel tilt but has the added feature of variable adjusting back. For every inch the seat in tilted, the back moves two inches. This movement also makes it easier to keep feet flat on the floor
· Knee tilt. This mechanism pivots closer to the knee joint making it much easier to keep feet flat on the ground.